Moving Toward Mastery
Seattle, WA, United States
In our advanced trainings, you’ll collaborate with colleagues in a creative learning community over time to develop the art of designing and leading transformational learning programs that change lives.
You will learn and practice all three aspects of the Creative Empowerment Model: Experiential Learning, Arts-Based Practices, and Leading Edge Facilitation Skills.
Based on the premise that effective facilitators are authentic, creative, responsible, and passionate, the training weaves personal growth with skill building and practice. Advanced Facilitation training is delivered in a variety of formats, from 2 days to 5 sessions, over several months depending on the location.
ART OF FACILITATION | SEATTLE
LEAD WITH HEART, MAXIMIZE YOUR IMPACT!
The Art of Facilitation (AOF) is an in-depth leadership and facilitation training for youth workers, teachers, facilitators, school counselors, trainers, and anyone who works with youth or adults groups. You’ll learn proven techniques for bringing depth, relevance, and lasting impact to your programs, classrooms, or teams. Embark on a powerful learning journey with a supportive, creative community of fellow practitioners.
I came to this training with high expectations and they were all met beyond the mark. Investing in this training was the best decision I’ve ever made.
~ Patricia Cortes, Social Worker, Eugene OR
Art of Facilitation is enlivening, challenging, and fun. Our training approach includes experiential learning, interactive presentations, self- awareness activities, and lots of time for small group practice. Every weekend you’ll have the opportunity to try things out in a supportive community of colleagues with direct mentoring from experienced facilitators. You can expect the training to be at times mentally, physically, and emotionally taxing. We have purposely created a rigorous training to make clear the level of skill, commitment, and integrity it takes to become a top-notch facilitator with the power and courage to make a difference. Participants who are able to practice what they learn between sessions will gain the most from the training.
Equity is core to the Art of Facilitation. We address all aspects of facilitation using an equity lens to prepare participants to center the needs of youth and adults from diverse backgrounds and to responsibly use power in their practice.
- Basic Facilitation Skills: Questioning, processing, listening, setting context, debriefing, working with a co-facilitator
- Effective Communication: Non-violent, relational, and challenge-based communication; relational and rapport building skills
- Group Dynamics: Working with group energy; bringing out quiet voices; working with resistance; getting comfortable working with young people, their emotions and issues
- Personal Development: Understanding your triggers; learning how to claim and hold space; understanding your strengths and challenges as a leader; increasing your emotional capacity to deal with conflict and strong feelings.
- Cultural Competency: Learning to center the needs of youth and adults from diverse cultures; designing and leading culturally responsive programs; becoming an ally for all people
- Trauma-Informed Practice: Understanding trauma and its effects; how to lead trauma-informed, resourceful programs
- Presentation Skills: Getting comfortable speaking in front of groups; projecting your voice; clear, authentic communication; being able to think on your feet
- Creative Arts Skills: Using practices from a wide range of arts– creative writing, poetry, visual arts, music, movement, improvisational theater, and rhythm–to increase engagement, connection, joy, and magic in a program
- Program Design Skills: Understanding the elements of a strong program; how to design transformative learning programs that change lives
TRAINING DATES AND TIMES*
The Art of Facilitation will meet one weekend per month from mid-January through mid-May in Seattle WA.
- January 17-19
- February 7-9
- March 6 – 8
- April 3 – 5
- May 15 -17
- Fridays, 6:30 pm – 9:00 pm
- Saturdays, 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Sundays, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
*Attendance at all sessions is required.
There is limited space in this training, and participants are chosen through an application process. In considering your application, we are most interested in hearing about what you want to learn from AOF, who you serve in your work, and what would make you a strong member of this learning community. We give priority to people working with youth from diverse backgrounds.
We offer a sliding scale fee structure to ensure equal access to individuals regardless of the size of their organization. When applying, please identify your organizational affiliation to choose the registration fee that fits your situation.
- NO PAYMENT IS REQUIRED WITH YOUR APPLICATION
- Deposit: Upon being accepted into AOF, a deposit of $250 is required to secure your space; click below to make your payment through PayPal.
- Fees include all training materials. You are responsible for travel, accommodations, and meals.
- Tuition Due: Tuition balance will be due in full on January 15.
- Payment Plan: To help ease the financial burden, we offer an optional payment plan to split your tuition balance into two payments, due January 15 and March 15.
- Our goal is to make the training accessible to everyone who wishes to attend, especially those who serve youth from diverse backgrounds.
- To be considered for a scholarship, you must submit the AOF Application along with the Scholarship Application.
- We review scholarship applications monthly and will let people know on December 15 and January 15.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- If you cancel more than 30 days prior to the training start date, you will receive a full refund, less a $50 administrative fee.
- If you cancel between 15-30 days prior to the training, you will receive a full refund minus the $250 deposit.
- If you cancel less than two weeks before the training you will not receive a refund unless we can fill your spot.
- If you drop out of the training after the course start date you will not receive a refund.
- Note About Enrollment: We require a minimum enrollment in this training. If this is not met by January 1, we may cancel the training. If we do cancel the training, we will fully refund your registration fee.
- If you are traveling to Seattle for the Art of Facilitation, please do not purchase air tickets or accommodations until after January 1, 2020 when we confirm the training.
Click on the name to read trainer’s bio: